Mason Jar Espresso Martini
The coffee martini has become one of the trendy, hipster drinks of the season. Every upscale bar and café seems to have created its own version. Learn to make the basic recipe, and you can tinker with it to your heart’s content.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yield: 2 martinis
- 3 oz. chilled espresso
- 1 oz. vodka
- 2 tsp. superfine sugar
- crushed ice
- Dissolve the sugar in the espresso. Pour the espresso into a cocktail shaker over crushed ice.
- Add vodka to cocktail shaker.
- Cover and shake until foamy.
- Strain into two martini glasses.
- Float foam on top of martini in each glass.
Got the basics down? Here are a few variations you can try to make your own signature espresso martini.
- Substitute vanilla vodka and add an ounce of dark crème de cacao. Top with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate shavings.
- Wipe the rim of each glass with a lemon wedge and dip in a mixture of raw sugar and chopped bittersweet chocolate. Garnish with a lemon twist and serve.
- Add Kahlua coffee liqueur and crème de white crème de cacao. Garnish with a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
- Coat the rim of a cocktail glass with superfine sugar. Pour equal parts of tequila, coffee liqueur and cold espresso into a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake and strain into the glass and garnish with powdered chocolate.
Other additions to consider include:
- 1 oz. raspberry liqueur
- 1 oz. Amaretto
- 1 oz. Frangelico
- 1 oz. Drambuie
- 1 oz. Irish Mist liqueur