Today is the day that the world celebrates the chocolate-hazelnut goodness that is Nutella. We figure chocolate tastes good with coffee. Hazelnut tastes good with coffee. Nutella is bound to taste good with coffee. These moist, choco-nutty cupcakes with the secret surprise center are proof that we're right.Our recipe takes a huge shortcut by using your favorite cake mix -- but from there, it's all yummy goodness.
A Note on the Coffee
You're not going to get a whopping kick of coffee flavor in this. It's the undertone that brings out the sweetness of the hazelnut and chocolate. That said, this is not a job for a delicate coffee. This is one where you want to break out the high-octane espresso blend like Cottonwood Espresso Blend
from Brown Coffee Company. If you don't have an espresso machine, make it double-strength in a drip press.
Follow Coffee Kind's board Coffee Eats: Recipes on Pinterest.
Nutella Filled Mocha Cupcakes with Chocolate Hazelnut Buttercream
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 16-20 minutes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for Cake
Ingredients for Filling
- Your favorite chocolate cake mix
- brewed strong coffee or espresso
- Eggs and oil as called for in your mix
Ingredients for Chocolate Hazelnut Buttercream
1/2 cup Nutella spread
2 tbsp. half and half
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup Nutella spread
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2-3 tbsp. espresso or strong brewed coffee
2 cups confectioners sugar
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, but substitute an equivalent amount of coffee for any water called for in the recipe.
- Follow directions and cooking time for 24 cupcakes. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- Cream together the hazelnut spread, half-and-half and confectioners sugar for the filling.
- Fill cupcakes using a pastry bag and #230 decorating tip, or by carefully cutting out the top of the cupcake and filling the cavity with filling, then replacing the top.
- In another bowl, cream together the hazelnut spread, butter and coffee for the buttercream frosting until smooth.
- Add confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time while beating at medium speed. Continue to beat at full speed until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Fill a pastry bag with mocha hazelnut buttercream and pipe onto each cupcake. Lightly dust with confectioners sugar.