Partake in this ancient coffee-making tradition if you enjoy a thick, frothy cup.
Coffee nerd options:
Turkish coffee grinder, scale, timer, thermometer
Brew time: 1-2 minutes
Temperature: Almost boiling
Grind setting: Extra fine
Ratio: 5 g of coffee (1 tsp) per 2-oz. demitasse cup worth of water
1. Add water to the ibrik (traditional brewer).
2. Add coffee grounds.
3. If desired, add sweetener at this point and stir to dissolve. Apply low-medium heat.
4. When the coffee begins to froth up and rise—and before it comes to a boil—quickly remove your ibrik from the heat for 30 sec. Repeat this process once or twice.
5. Pour small amounts into each of the cups you’ll be serving before filling them on a second pass. Enjoy!
For further exploration:
- For better results in the cup, some users recommend extending the “froth” phase by heating carefully.
- Waiting a few seconds before drinking will allow coffee sediment to settle.
- Consider adding spices like cardamom and anise.