If you're like most people, Thanksgiving morning is devoted to turkey dinner preparation. There's little time for a big breakfast in between stuffing the bird, chopping the veggies, laying out the crudités and whatever other delectable treats you have planned for the big dinner. These light, airy donuts stuffed with rich, coffee crème will rival the crème-filled donuts you buy at any of the big name chains.
Prep time: 12 hours
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 18 donuts
1 cup warm milk
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1 packet active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp softened butter
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup ground coffee
3 cups confectioners sugar
- Dissolve granulated sugar in warm milk in a small bowl. Add the yeast and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks and butter together until thick and creamy. Stir the yeast mixture into the egg yolks.
- Make a well in the center of the flour. Pour the egg and yeast mixture into the well and stir, drawing the flour from the sides into the liquid.
- Continue mixing until all of the flour is incorporated. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky, but holding together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured table and knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is elastic and springs back when you push your thumb into it.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, turning it to make sure that all sides are coated. Let it rise in the refrigerator overnight.
- Turn the dough out onto the table again. Roll it out to 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out 18 rounds of dough using a biscuit cutter or the top of a 3-inch diameter glass.
- Arrange the rounds on a cookie sheet, cover and allow to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Heat about 2 inches of cooking oil in a Dutch oven or heavy frying pan to 350 F. Add the donuts a few at a time, sliding them into the pan with a flat spatula. Fry until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Heat the heavy cream to just below boiling. Stir in the ground coffee and let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes. Strain through a coffee filter or thin cloth.
- In a small bowl, beat softened butter until it is light and creamy. Slowly add the coffee cream, continuing to beat until all the coffee is incorporated.
- Add the confectioners sugar about 1/2 cup at a time, mixing each addition in well before adding more.
- Fit a pastry bag with a star tip or other round tip. Fill with coffee pastry creme. Insert the tip into the side of each donut and squeeze to insert creme inside.