One 12 x 7 ½ x 2-inch baking pan
The easiest recipe in the book! For those who wish to be winners the first time around I suggest this delight. Cut them and keep them in the pan if desired. Then freeze them unfrosted, and serve them to unannounced guests alone or with ice cream, caramel coffee sauce, or just powdered sugar.
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) butter
2 tablespoons brewed espresso or extra strong drip coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 12 x 7 ½ x 2-inch baking pan.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Mix with a fork until evenly blended.
3. Combine the eggs, coffee, vanilla in a medium bowl and mix.
4. Place the sugar, flour, salt, in a large bowl and mix. Pour the chocolate and egg mixtures into the bowl and mix with a fork or spatula.
5. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool completely in the pan.
6. If desired, before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
7. Cut the individual brownies. Serve.
Tip: The espresso may be bought at a coffee store, if you do not own a machine, and just refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
Patricia McCausland-Gallo is a nutritionist, pastry chef, and coffee enthusiast born in the Caribbean town of Barranquilla. She is a graduate of Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, the American Institute of Baking in Kansas, as well as Ecole Lenôtre in Paris. She is a food writer and a manager and owner of bakeries in Barranquilla and Cali. She now resides in Panama City, Panama.
Comments will be approved before showing up.