Cafe Smooth Liqueur
Homemade gifts are always welcome. This holiday season, give the spirited gift of Cafe Smooth Liqueur. The buttery blend of rum, vodka, coffee and spices will bring out anyone's holiday spirit.
If you're planning on giving Cafe Smooth coffee liqueur as a Christmas gift, you should make and bottle it just before or after Thanksgiving to ensure that it's ready to drink in time for gifting.
Note: The ingredient amounts for the liqueur are listed in parts to make it easy for you to multiply the recipe. The coffee syrup recipe will make one quart. Combine with one pint of vanilla vodka and 1 pint of dark rum to make 2 quarts of Cafe Smooth coffee liqueur.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: minutes
Ingredients for Coffee Syrup
1 qt. strong, hot coffee
1 stick cinnamon
1 sprig rosemary
2 sprigs bulb fennel greens
1 stem fresh mint, about 6-8 leaves
- Peel of 1 large orange
2 cayenne peppers, cored and seeded
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
Ingredients for Coffee Liqueur
1 part coffee syrup
1 part dark rum
1 part vanilla vodka
- With a vegetable peeler, remove the skin of one orange, being careful to avoid the white pith.
- Place the orange peel, spices and herbs in a stainless steel (or other non-reactive) saucepan. Pour the hot coffee over the spices. Allow to steep for 30-45 minutes.
- Strain the coffee through a wire mesh strainer or cloth and return it to the saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the sugar. Continue to stir gently until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the coffee mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Lower the heat and allow the coffee mixture to simmer until it is thickened and reduced, about 30-45 minutes.
- Let the coffee syrup cool to room temperature.
- At this point, you can store the coffee in a covered jar or container until you are ready to continue.
- In a large, non-reactive container, mix 1 part dark rum and 1 part vanilla vodka.
- Add 2 parts coffee syrup and stir gently to mix completely.
- Transfer the coffee liqueur into bottles using a funnel, leaving 1/2 inch to an inch of head room.
- Cover the bottles tightly or cork them.
- Store the bottles in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks.