Bananas in Coffee-Caramel Sauce
1 1/3 cups
You can use this sauce with ice cream, waffles, pancakes and even yogurt!
2 firm bananas
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons brewed espresso or 3 tablespoons brewed regular coffee plus 1 teaspoon freeze-dried or granulated instant coffee
1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Peel and cut the bananas in 1/4-inch slices. You should have about 1 3/4 cups slices.
2. In a sauté pan over medium heat place the butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg; allow the butter to melt and bring out the flavor of the spices, 1 minute.
3. Add the sugar, espresso, and liqueur and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until the sugar has melted and the mixture has started to boil.
4. Add the cream and simmer until golden in color again, about 2 minutes. Add the bananas and cook 1 minute more.
5. Keep warm until ready to use.
About The Chef
Patricia McCausland-Gallo is a nutritionist, pastry chef, and coffee enthusiast born in the Caribbean town of Barranquilla. She is a graduate of Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, the American Institute of Baking in Kansas, as well as Ecole Lenôtre in Paris. She is a food writer and a manager and owner of bakeries in Barranquilla and Cali. She now resides in Panama City, Panama.